The George Shimko Basketball School is celebrating it’s 28th year of providing quality youth basketball programming in Illinois and Indiana. GSBS Basketball’s motto of “Good Students Make Better Athletes” provides a positive environment where children of all skill levels have the opportunity to become a fundamentally sound player on the court and a better person off the court.
Since 1994, the George Shimko Basketball School has been recognized as one of the top youth basketball organizations in Illinois and Indiana. George Shimko & GSBS Basketball is a recipient of the Illinois Association of Park Districts’ “Good Sportsmanship Award”.
GSBS BASKETBALL BY THE NUMBERS
2800 – Boys & Girls, 5 thru 15, who participate each year in our programs at the Oak Lawn Park District.
257 – Boys & Girls currently playing on 30 Public & Private high school basketball teams in IL & IN.
174 – Student athletes competing on NAIA, NJCAA & NCAA Colleges & University basketball teams.
92 – GSBS Alum who are teachers or advisors at Grade schools, Middle Schools, High Schools & Universities.
125 – GSBS Alum who are first responders or officers in the Armed Forces, including two (2) GSBS Alum who attended West Point Academy.
31 – GSBS Alum who are high school or college basketball coaches
The Oak Lawn Pavilion is the home of GSBS Basketball where a full complement of quality youth basketball Programs, Summer Camps, Leagues, Teams & Tournaments are available for Boys and Girls 5 to 18 years old. The Bedford Park District Swanson Center and the Chicago Ridge Frontier Fieldhouse are other prominent facilities that support GSBS Basketball programming.
GSBS Basketball has touched the lives of over 125,000 children who have grown through the program to become successful young men and women.
ATHLETIC ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AWARDS:
• 1978 Salfas Lithuanian Basketball World Games Gold Medal winner
• 1979 Saint Xavier College Most Valuable Player
• 1981 SNF National Tournament MVP and 1st Team All-Tournament
• 1983 Salfas Lithuanian Basketball World Games Silver Medal winner
• 1983 Flynn Robinson Chicago Pro-Am Champions
• 1987 SNF National Tournament MVP and 1st Team All-Tournament
• 1978-1995 Salfas Lithuanian National Tournament Champions – 12 times
• 1978-1998 Salfas Lithuanian National Tournament 2nd Place – 6 times
• 1980-1997 SNF National Tournament 1st Team All-Tournament – 7 times
• 1980-1997 SNF National Tournamemt Champions – 8 times
• 1980-1997 SNF National Tournament 2nd Place – 4 times
• 1990 Salfas Lithuanian Player of the Game – 3 times
• 1995 Columbus Park Chicago Pro-AM Champions
• 2002 SNF National Tournament 35 & over Champions
• 2005 SNF National Tournament 35 & over Champions
• 2010 SNF National Tournament 40 & over Champions
• 2010 SSPL League Champions
• 2011 Newberry Center Senior Division League Champions
• 2011 W. C. Senior Division League Champions
• 2012 Sports Faith International – Hall of Fame
BUSINESS ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AWARDS:
• 1994 Created, designed and implemented the George Shimko Basketball School
(GSBS programs has reached over 15,000 children ages 5 – 18)
• 1999 Created, designed and implemented the Chicago Bulls Basketball Schools
(Summer programs in 90 communities has reached over 25,000 children ages 5 – 14)
• 2000 Created, designed and implemented the Chicago Bulls Overnight Camps
(Summer Overnight camps has reached over 5,000 children ages 10 – 14
• 2000 Created, designed and implemented the Chicago Bulls Junior Bulls programs
(Fall & Spring programs in 50 communities has reached over 50,000 children ages 5 – 14)
• 2001 Created, designed and implemented the 1st professional training facility in the United States called the Chicago Bulls Training Academy. The facility and full compliment of basketball
programs has reached over 75,000 children.
• 2003 Created, designed and implemented the Illinois Basketball Academy professional training facility. The facility and full compliment of basketball programs has reached over 15,000 children.
• 2007 Illinois Association of Park Districts’ “Good Sportsmanship Award” Winner
HEAD GIRL’S VARSITY BASKETBALL COACH AND ATHLETIC DIRECTOR – QUEEN OF PEACE HIGH SCHOOL
In 2013, named the head girls’ basketball coach at Queen of Peace High School in Burbank, IL. An all girls’ school with an enrollment of 325 and in 2014 took on the added responsibility as our school’s Director of Athletics. In four (4) years, we have changed the basketball culture into a competitive environment. Program went from 2 wins during the 2013-14 season to 28 wins during the 2016-17 season and the best record in the school’s 55 year history. Named th 2017 Coach of the year by Daily Southtown newspaper & the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA)
HEAD GIRL’S VARSITY BASKETBALL COACH – ST. LAURENCE HIGH SCHOOL
In 2017, became the first girls’ head basketball coach at St. Laurence High School’s history. Since 1965, St. Laurence was an all boys’ Catholic school.
• 1966-1970 Member Saint Basil Grammar School basketball team
• 1975-1976 Member Northeastern Illinois University Varsity basketball team
• 1977-1979 Member Saint Xavier College Varsity basketball team
• 1978-1989 Member Salfas Lithuanian Team – Chicago Neris
• 1978-1993 Member Chicago Pro-AM basketball team
• 1980-2005 Member SNF National Tournament team – Chicago Stars
• 1990-1998 Member Salfas Lithuanian team – New York L.A.K.
• 1990-1995 Member North American Lithuanian All-Star Team – Vejas
• 1999-2014 Member Salfas Lithuanian Team – Toronto Ausra
• Grade School Diploma Saint Basil Grammar School, Chicago,IL
• High School Diploma Saint Rita High School, Chicago, IL
• Bachelor of Arts Saint Xavier College, Chicago, IL
• AESEP Certified Coach
• NCAA Certified Coach
• USA Basketball Gold Coach License
1994 to present George Shimko Basketball School / GSBS Stars Basketball: Owner
2017 to present St. Laurence High School: Head Girls’ Varsity Basketball Coach
2014 to 2017 Queen of Peace High School: Director of Athletics
2013 to 2017 Queen of Peace High School: Head Girls’ Varsity Basketball Coach
2003 Illinois Basketball Academy /Owner / General Manager – Basketball Operations
1998 to 2003 Chicago Bulls Basketball Schools / Training Academy/General Manager – Director of Basketball Operations
1979 to 1998 United States Department of Agriculture: Senior Auditor / Audit Supervisor